Welcome to Lakeside Joint School District
The history of Lakeside School is mingled with the history of the Santa Cruz Mountains and the Lexington/Los Gatos area. Lakeside School became the presence it is today on Black Road around the early 1900's and eventually included Central, Brown, Castle Rock, and Fairview Schools. The bulk of the campus was built in 1967 with the Lakeside Community Center completed in 2004.
In the 1800's the Santa Cruz Mountains were home to many enclaves mostly devoted to lumbering. When the trees were all gone (in the late 1800's) agriculture (vineyards and orchards) predominated. Early photos of the region around Lakeside School testify to the fact that hardly one majestic redwood was left untouched.
While both Hwy 9 and Hwy 17 bracket the Lakeside Joint School District, Los Gatos rather than Boulder Creek became the center of commerce and interest for the Lakeside sphere of influence. In the 1860's, Lexington, located near the foot of Black Road, was a prosperous Industrial community.